I want to add vitamin B12 to my daily regimen but I take Prilosec everyday for gerd. What kind of dose should I take for energy/heart health?

Dr. Michio Abe

In brief: Vitamin B12

You can take oral vitamin B12 of 1, 000mcg daily.
It's not necessarily helpful for energy or heart health, especially if you are not B12 deficient. Prilosec when used for a very long time can cause B12 deficiency. Prilosec should be taken about 30 minutes before meal, and should not be taken together with vitamin B12 as it can decrease the absorption of b12.

In brief: Vitamin B12

Pathology

In brief: See below

Agree with Dr. If you are not deficient in B12 taking it will not do any good.
If you must, you may take the sub-lingual form that does not depend on stomach for absorption.

In brief: See below

Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology