My mother just passed away from a breast cancer called her 2. It is evidently a rare type of cancer. What else can you tell me about this cancer?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Not so rare.

First of all, I am sorry for your loss.
Her 2 stands for human epidermal growth factor receptor. This is a protein that is present on approximately 20% of all breast cancers. These cancers tend to be more aggressive; however, there are targeted therapies with drugs such as Herceptin (trastuzumab) that can be very effective.

In brief: Not so rare.

First of all, I am sorry for your loss.
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
3 comments
Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
My condolences to your mothers passing
Dr. Barry Rosen
Most women with the hereditary form of breast cancer are actually HER 2 negative. Regardless, if there were other members of your family with breast or ovarian cancer, especially at a younger age, it would be advisable to talk to a genetic counselor regarding risk analysis.
Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Lots!

I'm so sorry you lost your mother to breast cancer.
Her2 is the name of a protein found on 20% of breast cancers. It used to be the worst sub-type of breast cancer, but now there are drugs like Herceptin (trastuzumab) that target her2+ breast cancers, so the prognosis has improved. It's still an aggressive breast cancer, as you have sadly learned. Take care of yourself! to learn more: www.Her2support.Org.

In brief: Lots!

Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
The over-expression (XS copies) on the surface usually mark for rapid growth, but the receptor blocker therapy adds a tool. Sorry about your mopther's pasing.
Dr. Jane Van Dis