My husband is 22, I'm 25 I have 2 kids from a previous relationship. We have been having unprotected sex for almost a year now and have not gotten pregnant, why?

Dr. John Jarrett
Fertility Medicine

In brief: More tsting is neede

It is time to get more testing, specifically have your husband get a semen analysis.

In brief: More tsting is neede

Dr. John Jarrett
Dr. John Jarrett
Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief: Time for testing

After 12 months of unprotected sex a young couple should be seen by an obgyn or infertility specialist.
Since you have had children before and this is a new male partner the easiest place to start is a semen analysis to make sure his sperm is normal. Your doctor will order this test and get the infertility testing process started.

In brief: Time for testing

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Joseph Pena
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Seek evaluation

See a ob/gyn or infertility specialist for infertility evaluation.
Infertility = failure to conceive after 1 year of unprotected sex, and affects ~15% of couples. Evaluation involves confirmation of ovulation, patency of fallopian tubes, and assessment of sperm characteristics. Abnormalities in any one of these may make it more difficult to conceive, even with a history or previous live birth(s).

In brief: Seek evaluation

Dr. Joseph Pena
Dr. Joseph Pena
Dr. Adam Levy