I have a bump on the inside of my gum. What could this be?

In brief: Get it checked

Chances are very good that your dentist will say it is just extra bone growth and that you can just watch it.
The risk of it being some else is very small, but, some of the things that it could be are serious enough that you want to catch them as early as possible so do not wait... Get it evaluated by a dentist asap.

In brief: Get it checked

Dr. Hetesh Ranchod -- Dr. Ranch
Dr. Hetesh Ranchod -- Dr. Ranch
Dr. Scott Bobbitt
Dentistry

In brief: Need a photo

The "gums" are tissues that encircle the tooth, so most likely a "gum bump" would be an abscess.
More than likely, you are referring to the fragile mucosa that lines the bone on the inside of the jaw. In that case, the "bump" is merely an outcropping of bone that occurs normally in the jaw called a torus (see photo). See your dentist for a thorough evaluation. At 42, your bump could be a tumor.

In brief: Need a photo

Dr. Scott Bobbitt
Dr. Scott Bobbitt