My 8 year old has a deviated septum and has a hard time breathing out of his nose especially while he is sleeping. What should I do?

Dr. Cindy Juster

In brief: See an ENT doctor.

If your son's doctor has diagnosed a deviated septum and it's causing that much airway obstruction, an ENT doctor needs to see him to determine if it warrants surgery to straighten the septum. The doctor may also order a sleep study on your son to see if he's having obstructive sleep apnea from this.

In brief: See an ENT doctor.

Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. John Hoffmann
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: See an ENT doctor

There are a number of things that can cause nasal blockage in children one of which is a deviated septum. In general, it is best to avoid nose surgery on an 8 year old.
The child should be evaluated by an ENT specialist to determine the best option.

In brief: See an ENT doctor

Dr. John Hoffmann
Dr. John Hoffmann
Dr. Paul Williams
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Adenoids

In this age group enlarged adenoids can also be a cause for trouble breathing through the nose and is one of the most common causes of "sleep disordered breathing" in childhood.
Deviated septums are common, but not often the cause for nasal obstruction. I agree about seeing and ENT surgeon.

In brief: Adenoids

Dr. Paul Williams
Dr. Paul Williams
Dr. Cindy Juster