How can a ultrasound help when having abnormal periods and vaginal discharge?

See the ovaries. Ultrasounds visualize the internal structures (ovaries and uterus) with great detail. It will help rule-out things like cysts on the ovaries and fibroids in the uterus.
US. You can have a transabdominal or transvaginal ultrasound or even a more detailed test called a saline hysterogram. The last test takes a detailed look at the lining of the uterus and is excellent to see if the bleeding is related directly to endometrial abnormalities or the presence of polyps or fibrois.
Abnormal periods. Ultrasound and sonohysterogrophy can help determine if someone has a endometrial polyp or polycystic ovaries as well.