Do external hemorrhoids cause an odor?

No. No they usually don't unless you have difficulty cleaning and there is residual stool that remains on the external hemorrhoid after each bm. I would recommend sitz baths after bms if you note an odor. If there continues to be an odor you may have a perianal abscess which would be accompanied by pain and pus drainage. For this you need to go to the er for treatment.
Yes. Large hemorrhoids or skin tags can cause an odor from two sources: 1. Difficulty with hygiene after bm 2. Anal glands at the anus which can make mucus that can be malodorous at times.