I have been going to the gym for 12 weeks now. I'm circuit training, watching what I eat, and breastfeeding. No weight loss...Any idea why?

Dr. Susan Arnoult

In brief: Fewer calories?

It sounds like you've been working hard and you are probably making more progress than you realize so don't give up! Circuit training is a great weight loss tool.
I would focus on your calories "in" now. If you are not losing weight, chances are your calories (no matter how healthy) are still too high for you to lose weight. Go to www.myfitnesspal.com for a great support and tracking site.

In brief: Fewer calories?

Dr. Susan Arnoult
Dr. Susan Arnoult
Dr. Eric Kelts
Agreed, and remember that muscle weighs considerably more than fat, which can make "weight loss" evaluation based completely on weight inaccurate. Measurements of waist circumference and subcutaneous fat content can be significantly more revealing... Good Luck and keep up the good work!
Dr. Philip Rosenblum

In brief: Gaining muscle

If you are truly strength training: observing good technique, using muscles in full range of movement, exercising muscles to exhaustion, and increasing resistance accordingly, them you should be seeing a change in your body proportions.
You should be experiencing an increase in you energy level and noticing a change in the way your clothes fit. These are more important than "weight loss.".

In brief: Gaining muscle

Dr. Philip Rosenblum
Dr. Philip Rosenblum
Dr. Cindy Juster