It has been a week since my wisdom teeth extraction and the left side of my mouth still hurts. What should I do? Im afraid of a dry socket.

Dr. Jon Molinare
Dentistry

In brief: Dry socket

You should go back to see the dentist who did the extractions.
It may be a dry socket. They will be able to make the determination. There are treatments to help with the pain while it heals. If it is a dry socket it usually takes from 10-14 days to run its course.

In brief: Dry socket

Dr. Jon Molinare
Dr. Jon Molinare
Dr. Stephen Gordon
Dentistry

In brief: Depends

Call the dentist who extracted the teeth, they need to see if the pain is considered to be normal for a difficult extraction or if you truly have a dry socket, it needs to be correctly treated.
If necessary, they may determine antibiotics should be taken. See your dentist.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Stephen Gordon
Dr. Stephen Gordon
Dr. Ron E. Bell
A dry socket usually occurs 3-5 days after an extraction It can be treated with medicine by your dentist. Called 'packing' the socket
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: When?, relative

Whether or not this is normal, a dry socket, or a problem with healing such as an infection depends upon the timing, degree of pain and whether things are getting or worse.
This can easily be determined by your dentist once he sees you and discusses the issue. We can´t determine that over the internet. Call your dentist and have him/her evaluate the area.

In brief: When?, relative

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Adam Smith