I have a crushed fracture in my back does it require a brace?

Dr. Michael Bolesta
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Maybe, maybe not
Fractures vary in severity.
A milder fracture may not hurt enough to need bracing, especially in the thoracic (mid back) area, because the rib cage tends to give extra support. More severe compression may benefit from the support a brace gives and reduce the risk of further collapse during the healing process.

In brief: Maybe, maybe not
Fractures vary in severity.
Dr. Michael Bolesta
Dr. Michael Bolesta
Dr. Jonathan Hyde
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: Maybe
Spinal fractures are often treated with some form of bracing.
Depending upon the stability and age of the fracture, your doctor may not recommend a brace. If bracing is recommended, it is important to follow the instructions given by your physician and/or orthotist on how and when to wear the device.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Jonathan Hyde
Dr. Jonathan Hyde
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine