Is chlomid a good start with trying to conceive?

Depends. For some people, it's a great start. Before starting anything, it's good to figure out which category (sperm, egg, tubes, uterus) is contributing to the difficulty. For some patients with egg problems, Clomid (clomiphene) is good.
It depends. Clomid (clomiphene) is usually the initial recommended treatment for infertility believed to be due to anovulation (polycystic ovarian syndrome) or unexplained infertility. However, it is unlikely to work in cases of severe sperm quality abnormalities or tubal obstruction, and may not be the initial recommended treatment. Thus, an infertility evaluation by one's doctor is the best initial step one can take.