If I am taking sertralin on a daily basis, do I need to eventually get off before my wife and I start the process of having kids?

Dr. Gregg Albers
Addiction Medicine
In brief: Pregnancy/Zoloft
The severity of the depression and or anxiety is the issue.
It is always recommended to be off all medications during pregnancy. If your depression is severe, leading to multiple hospitalizations or other medication abuse, it may be safer to stay on the medication. Do no make your decision based on commercials about medication lawsuits, but from an obgyn who can give you the best info.

In brief: Pregnancy/Zoloft
Dr. Gregg Albers
Dr. Gregg Albers
Dr. Neil Liebowitz
There is no evidence that antidepressants affect your dna or sperm. So I would not consider stopping your medication unless there is a sexual dysfunction issue. Depression and anxiety are more serious risks of your stopping the medication and having a child is a significant stressor that you want to be healthy mentally for.
Dr. Shontae Buffington