I eat raw rice on a regular basis about 1/3 to 1/2 cup a day. I can't seem to stop. Is this serious or are there any health risks?

Dr. Swati Avashia
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

In brief: Pica

Eating raw rice can cause gastrointestinal problems.
But the more important question is "why do you want to eat raw rice?" you may have pica, a condition that can be associated with iron deficiency anemia. You should see your primary care doctor for further evaluation.

In brief: Pica

Dr. Swati Avashia
Dr. Swati Avashia
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: PICA?

I agree with dr. Avashia.
Need to go to see your doctor and tell your doctor about your habit. This could be a pica- and could be associated with iron deficiency anemia etc. Need to get blood work to see what is going on. Start with your primary care doctor.

In brief: PICA?

I agree with dr. Avashia.
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Keegan Duchicela