Is ephedrine safe as a wt loss aid to help suppress appetite? Only 20 lbs to lose as my BMI is just over avg. I take prozac (fluoxetine). Need appetite self contro

Dr. Luke Hermann
Emergency Medicine

In brief: No

Ephedrine (ephedrine sulfate) is somewhat effective as an appetite suppressant but is generally not considered safe for frequent use because it is a stimulant that shares similar properties with cocaine.
As a result it can cause elevations of blood pressure and rarely dangerous heart rhythm problems.

In brief: No

Dr. Luke Hermann
Dr. Luke Hermann
Dr. Brian Lynch

In brief: Weight-loss

There is no one-size-fits-all recommendation.
Medication is a long term no win situation . Research is proving people regain their weight. There are metabolic forces that should be addressed ; thyroid ect. It does tend to be a problem of excess calorie intake due to a push by stress or other emotional push. All that said one does have to have access to good food and nutrition.

In brief: Weight-loss

Dr. Brian Lynch
Dr. Brian Lynch
Dr. Adam Smith