Is femara (letrozole) ever decreased to 3 years after completing chemo and radiation, instead of 5 years?

Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Rarely

Femara (letrozole) causes bad side effects for many women.
And we've learned that many women stop taking it without telling their doctor. Unfortunately those women have a higher risk of breast cancer returning. Better than stopping is to ask your onc to consider switching to a similar drug, and treat your side effects. I give medication for hot flashes, vaginal dryness, and bone/joint pain. Hang in there!

In brief: Rarely

Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Thomas Chen

In brief: Ask your oncologist

We don't know the optimum duration of endocrine therapy for the individual patient.
I generally try to balance the beneficial effects (prevention of cancer recurrence) with side-effects. If a person's cancer is low risk, i would be ok stopping early if side-effects are very bothersome.

In brief: Ask your oncologist

Dr. Thomas Chen
Dr. Thomas Chen
Dr. Adam Levy