Should I take 5htp for depression or tryptophan?

Neither. Frankly, there is little evidence that either chemical treats depression. Both substances may get absorbed from the intestine, but they don't change brain levels of serotonin. Even if they did, depression is much more complicated than 'low serotonin'. Many people get a placebo boost from taking such products, double blind studies don't show them to be effective.
Possible Help. 5-htp has been advocated as a helpful supplement for mood. It is possible that it would be helpful in mild depression, but it is not likely to give consistent benefit by itself for more severe depression.