What would cause severe pain if pressure is applied just under the lower rib on my right side on my back?

Kidney. The area just beneath the back bottom rib and near the spine is called the "costovertebral angle", and if there's an issue with kidney on that side (infection, stone, etc.) that is where you would feel the pain. If it persists, please get checked by a doctor.