Radiologist wants to do a follow-up u/s after a breast biopsy that came back benign. If it was benign, what's the point in doing another u/s?

Dr. Morton Levitt
Pathology

In brief: F/U Imaging

The radiologist most likely wants to make sure that the area that was sampled in the biopsy was the same one that brought you in to see your doctor in the first place.
This is always a good thing to do, although the likelihood of missing the original lesion with proper wire guidance under ultrasound and multiple needle or core biopsies, is very small.

In brief: F/U Imaging

In brief: Being thorough

It is routine to obtain a follow up ultrasound after a benign biopsy.
Sometimes the pathology results do no match the imaging results; for example if the mass looks like cancer and the biopsy comes back benign, you want the radiologist to follow up in 6 months, just in case the pathology results are wrong.

In brief: Being thorough

Dr. Milroy Samuel

In brief: Hmmm

Good question. I agree.

In brief: Hmmm

Good question. I agree.
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery