Are statin drugs safe for long-term use? I take 5 mg. Crestor (rosuvastatin) 5 x week. It's keeping my numbers in check, but at what cost over time? 48 yr old male.

Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Statins

As far as we presently know statins are safe over time.
There are some questions whether long term there might be some abnormalities of glucose handling produced. There are liver and other abnormalities which we've seen with statins that sometimes require the statin to be withdrawn. The great majority of patients on statins have no problems to the present time.

In brief: Statins

Dr. Christopher White
By and large hugely beneficial medications to prevent heart disease. Important to know LDL cholesterol and to reach goal.
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine