Can a type 2 diabetic who eats right and exercises go to be a pre diabetic?

Dr. Michio Abe
In brief: Beta cell function
Whether diabetes can be reversed may be controversial.
Type 2 diabetes can be brought under control with diet, exercise, weight management +/- meds. I have seen many patients who no longer met diagnostic criteria for diabetes after significant weight loss, particularly after their weight loss procedures. However, the underlying disease process, the loss of beta cell function, is irreversible.

In brief: Beta cell function
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Melissa Young
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Technically, no
Oh you can diet and lose weight and have normal blood sugars, but technically you still have diabetes.
I use the analogy of an alcoholic - you can be sober for 30 years, you are still a recovered alcoholic and you can't start drinking again. As a diabetic, some of the metabolic damage has been done, so if you stop managing it with a healthy lifestyle, your blood sugars wil go back up.

In brief: Technically, no
Dr. Melissa Young
Dr. Melissa Young
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Preventive Medicine
Diabetes type 2 is usually but not always comes with obesity.
The good news is that a large study called the diabetes program prevention trial showed that a healthy diet, regular exercise and a modest weight loss of 7% can reduce the chances of prediabetes turning into diabetes about half the time. Likewise, I have seen weight loss turn diabetes 2 into prediabetes, or even make it go away.

Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Jennie Law
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Ur # can be
If you make major lifestyle changes and haven't had diabetes for very long, you can improve your blood sugars to the point where you can't tell you're a diabetic just by looking at ur numbers.
Altho, often i ask my pts to cont to consider themselves just a well controlled diabetic, so they don't slip into bad habits or forget the importance of their good habits.

In brief: Ur # can be
Dr. Jennie Law
Dr. Jennie Law
Dr. Arnon Rubin