Can teeth whitening used with hydrogen peroxide damage a veneer?

Dr. Peter Flaherty
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: No

Veneers are typically made from a variety of ceramics or composites.
Tooth whitening ingredients like hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide will not damage a veneer. Be aware though, the whitening gel will have little or no whitening effect on the veneers themselves. If you have both natural teeth and veneered teeth in your smile only the natural teeth will whiten.

In brief: No

Dr. George Hanna
Dentistry

In brief: No

whitening will cause your teeth to become white but not the veneer.
You might need to change the veneer to match the new color after whitening. You need to get an exam and x-ray to see what is the best option for you. you can also send me your x-rays for a second opinion http://my.setmore.com/bookingpage/72b8c781-a64f-45c9-9314-934abdd25118

In brief: No

Dr. April Ziegele
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: No

The chemicals used in whitening or bleaching products do not damage the porcelain veneer or crown.
However, they won't whiten them either, so don't waste the material on those areas.

In brief: No

Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: No

But high strength peroxide gels can damage mercury fillings and release more mercury vapor, as well as damage composite fillings.

In brief: No

Dr. Douglas Tavenner, jr.
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Generally not

A veneer is generally made of porcelain and as long there is not leakage points around the veneer, there is not usually a problem. When peroxide oxidizes, it gives up 1 oxygen and becomes plane pure water.

In brief: Generally not

Dr. Bret Boyle
Board Certified, Wound care