Why exactly are you not supposed to drink with a straw after a tooth extraction?

Dr. David Schleimer
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Clot dislodgment

The answer given by another doctor is not quite accurate, as it states it will cause bleeding from the root.
I understand what the person is thinking i suppose, but extraction of a tooth means the crown and the root. The reason is: sucking pressure can easily dislodge a recent clot, thereby exposing alveolar bone to the oral environment, it is called a dry socket. Clot loss due to suction.

In brief: Clot dislodgment

Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. Ajay Acharya

In brief: Negative pressure

To suck liquid with straw, you need to create negative pressure in your mouth.
That will cause bleeding from root.

In brief: Negative pressure

That will cause bleeding from root.
Dr. Ajay Acharya
Dr. Ajay Acharya
Dr. Vicken Poochikian