When they perform a root canal, is there any of the silver amalgam filling placed in the tooth?

Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Yes, after a RCT

After a root canal therapy (RCT) has been completed, it will require some type of permanent dental restoration.
There are two basic options that you have for restoring an endodontically treated tooth: 1. the placement of a dental crown or 2. A filling silver amalgam or tooth-colored composite).

In brief: Yes, after a RCT

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Douglas Tavenner, jr.
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: No

Silver amalgam has never been a root canal filling material.

In brief: No

Dr. Douglas Tavenner, jr.
Dr. Douglas Tavenner, jr.
Dr. Joseph Kim
Dentistry

In brief: Some do, I do not

The root canal filling material is composed of gutta percha.
It's actually the orange wound rubber stuff inside of golf balls to give them compressive strength. Prior to an eventual finishing crown, some dentists will use amalgam fillings to restore the bulk of the tooth on top of the root canal. I prefer to use a a carbon-fiber reinforced post as a rebar inside of a composite filling instead.

In brief: Some do, I do not

Dr. Joseph Kim
Dr. Joseph Kim
Dr. Keegan Duchicela