Whats the best treatment for the middle finger that is bruised at the knuckle? Its a basketball injury

Dr. Stuart Hilliard
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Ice, rest, NSAIDs

Initially, ice, rest and anti-inflammatory medications are useful to help with the pain and swelling.
It is normal for a jammed joint to be tender and swollen for up to 6 months. Exercises to increase your range of motion ate useful to work out the stiffness.

In brief: Ice, rest, NSAIDs

Dr. Stuart Hilliard
Dr. Stuart Hilliard
Dr. Raymond Raven
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: It depends,...

Basketball injuries to the middle knuckle include simple ligament sprains, central slip (tendon-boutonneire) rupture and fracture dislocation.
Unfortunately, even severe injuries could look innocuous. I personally feel it is important to have these injuries evaluated in order to rule out a more sinister injury. It could mean the difference between 3 weeks of buddy taping and surgery...

In brief: It depends,...

Dr. Raymond Raven
Dr. Raymond Raven
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine