I have a crackling/ snapping in my knee when going up/down stairs. Xray shows nothing but my knee hurts? May I have torn ligament?

Dr. Maxim Tyorkin
Sports Medicine
In brief: Probably not a lig
The snapping you hear is usually your knee cap snapping on your femur. That comes from a muscle imbalance in your quad muscle.
Ysually the outer quad is stronger than the inner one and therefore pulls the knee cap to the outside of the groove it normally sits in your femur. Work on inner quad or vmo strength to correct the problem.

In brief: Probably not a lig
Dr. Maxim Tyorkin
Dr. Maxim Tyorkin
Dr. Stuart Springer
May need physical therapy. Might find an elastic knee support with a knee cap cutout helpful as well. If not see your local Orthopaedist.
Dr. Amir Khan
Sports Medicine
In brief: Doubt it
The most common and likely cause of cracking/popping in front of the knee is an irritated or early wear of the knee cap cartilage or the surface cartilage of the thigh bone that it rubs.
Other causes could include a meniscus tear, plica, patellar tendonitis etc. Some fluid build up in the knee causes cracking. Try therapy, antiinflammatories, ice and sometimes a knee sleeve. See orthopedist.

In brief: Doubt it
Dr. Amir Khan
Dr. Amir Khan
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine