Does having a lot of moles give you a higher potential for skin cancer?

Dysplastic moles. Moles are proliferations of nevus cells. Most moles are benign. Some can transform into melanoma. Many believe that the transformation is gradual. Before turning into melanoma, moles are said to be 'atypical' or 'dysplastic'. When an individual has many atypical moles (as in dysplastic nevus syndrome), then the risk of having a melanoma is higher.
No. Skin cancer is caused by an increase in uv radiation. Although, patient is advised to keep a close eye on the moles for any changes in pigmentation or size.