I've discovered that i'm mthfr 1298a positive. I don't know what this means. What are the treatment options? And what dr. Would i see to pursue this?

Pathology

In brief: This is soft

Testing for mthfr genotype is being promoted aggressively by one lab and a few physician-activists.
Around half of peoplen in many populations have at least one "abnormal gene." studies are mixed but on general medical principles, it seems unlikely that if blood homocysteine levels are normal that a mutation is a problem. Carriers might benefit from extra folate, (folic acid) b6 &/or B12 supplementation.

In brief: This is soft

3 comments
Dr. Rhonda Simons
Carriers of ANY of the alleles do NOT benefit from synthetic folic acid, or the folic acid found in "Enriched" grains.You have to use L-Methylfolate which is the only form that crosses the BBB. When you have an enzymatic defect that prevents the production of this enzyme, you could be making only 10% of the neurotransmitters that non-MTHFR's are. Www.DrSimonsSays.com, will be posting studies ASAP
Dr. Rhonda Simons
The "soft" part is talking about "overmethylation". After treating HUNDREDS of people, I have not seen that in my practice. What I have seen is people able to come down or off their antidepressants or benzos, or finally get pregnant, or lose weight, have better controlled blood pressure, and lowered Uric acid and reduced homocysteine--all of which are related to cardiovascular health.
Dr. Su Fairchild
Integrative Medicine

In brief: Depends

You could be prone to bh4 shortage.
Consider taking metafolin, nac, and same. Limit phenylalanine intake, as that can further deplete bh4. Take magnesium, zinc, p5p, and vitamin c.

In brief: Depends

You could be prone to bh4 shortage.
Dr. Su Fairchild
Dr. Su Fairchild
Dr. Keegan Duchicela