My daughter received retainers now he has big red bumps on the back of her tongue , she says they don't hurt nor do they itch is this normal?

Dr. David Gisborne
Dentistry

In brief: Probably normal

The bumps you have observed are probably what are called circumvallate papillae.
These are normal anatomic structures. Their function is related to taste.

In brief: Probably normal

Dr. David Gisborne
Dr. David Gisborne
Dr. Duane Keller
Dentistry

In brief: May Be Taste Buds

There are some large taste buds on the back of the tongue.
If they look the same on both sides and there are no problems, i would recommend you watch them and bring them to the attention of your dentist or orthodontist at your next visit. They are probably nothing to worry about.

In brief: May Be Taste Buds

Dr. Duane Keller
Dr. Duane Keller
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Probably normal

Everyone has a line of big red bumps, the circumvallate papillae, on the back of their tongues.
Perfectly normal. However, not being able to see the location of the bumps on your daughter's tongue over the computer, my advice would be to have the orthodontist take a look to assure normalcy. It will give you peace of mind.

In brief: Probably normal

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Adam Levy