I have a lot of scars all over my body. Is there a surgery to replace the entire top layer of skin?

Dr. Steven Harris
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Sorry, no
Even if there were, it would not remove the scars as they are deeper than the top layer of skin.
Pick the one or two you hate the most and show them to a plastic surgeon so he can advise you about ways to minimize their appearance and work from there.

In brief: Sorry, no
Dr. Steven Harris
Dr. Steven Harris
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: No
Every injury to the skin, whether accidental or intentional, leaves a scar, even if it is performed by a plastic surgeon.
There is no way to resurface your entire outer layer of skin. Scars that are significantly unsightly may be improved by surgical excision and careful closure.

In brief: No
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Dr. Mike Bowman
Seek a consolation with a plastic surgeon for a full discussion of your situation.
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Risk of scars
The risk of scarring is prohibitive therefore we prefer to use "resurfacing techniques" that remove a partial thickness and rely on the skin to heal itself.
Deeper treatments have a greater risk of scars. Superficial imperfections can be removed whereas deeper ones will persist. Ablative & non ablative lasers, needling, chemicals or mechanical (deemabrasion) techniques are used.

In brief: Risk of scars
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Michael Matthew
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: No
No. This would be incredibly dangerous, and scars involve your deeper skin layers as well.

In brief: No
Dr. Michael Matthew
Dr. Michael Matthew
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery
Its called a split thickness skin graft but would make it look worse.
Scar revision surgery is an art which only abms/abps- certified(that is in my opinion- look for asps logo on web pg) surgeons are good at. I offer a discount for this in almost every self- pay case. It's no coincidence psych problems are often referred to as "mental scars". Scars have signif emotional effects and should be treat.

Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Terri Graham
In brief: Find a dermatologist
I hear you trying to reach out to help you find a technique that can help with scars.
When there are scars that embarrass you in highly visible areas like your face or arms, you can find a dermatologist that can work with you to find a non surgical option like dermabrasion. The top fayer of your skin can be "sanded" down and reheal to give you a smoother look, or sometimes topical medications.

In brief: Find a dermatologist
Dr. Terri Graham
Dr. Terri Graham
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: No
There is not a procedure to remove the entire skin on your body.
In certain cases, expanders can be used to stretch healthy skin to cover damaged skin.

In brief: No
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery