I was told that some birth control are really the same as Plan B pills where they end a pregnacy and not prevent. A period really equals a miscarriage?

Plan B is not. an abortion pill. Emergency Contraceptive Pills are not as effective as using oral contraceptives correctly every day. Often a period is a period and not a miscarriage. Some oral contraceptives can be used in higher doses as emergency contraceptives.
Not really. Birth control pills prevent ovulation, though pregnancy, but Plan B just make uterine inner lining to shed (bleed) and prevents a fertilized ovum to sit in uterine cavity.