How can I test myself for the difference between a femoral hernia and swollen lymph nodes?

Dr. David Earle
Surgery

In brief: Exam

Physical exam is the best place to start.
See your doctor to find out. May need testing such as ultrasound done while you push out your stomach if the exam is inconclusive.

In brief: Exam

Dr. David Earle
Dr. David Earle
Dr. Erik Borncamp
Wound care

In brief: Big or small?

Usually lymph nodes will be mildly tender to the touch and firm, smooth and slightly moveable or fixed.
They can be 1-2 com in size or rarely larger. They may feel like a bean or grape under the skin. Herniae on the other hand may feel like a sac of fluid or gas and may reduce (disappear) when you lay down or push on them. They tend to be associated with abdominal symptoms when symptomatic.

In brief: Big or small?

Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery