I have insomnia and had been using Ambien (zolpidem) for a while. I have to take 4x 10mg tabs just to get to sleep. I have spoken with my pcp and am now trying diazepam 4x (5mg) any helpful advise.

Dr. Matthew Gold
Neurology

In brief: Withdraw

You have a serious problem. Physical and emotional habituation are likely.
Diazepam is worse than ambien (zolpidem). Look for alternatives with a sleep medicine physician's help. If there is an underlying physical disorder of sleep, a polysomnogram may diagnose something that can be specifically treated. Behavioral measures ("sleep hygiene") may also help, such as regularizing when you go to sleep daily.

In brief: Withdraw

Dr. Marybeth Lambe
Travel Medicine

In brief: Both Unwise

Both methods treacherous as you become unable to sleep without medication as both Ambien (zolpidem) and valium (diazepam)-- causes rebound insomnia.
This means in addition to what ever was your original struggle with sleep, you now have a new one--use of either medicine more than 2 weeks will cause withdrawal if stopped. There are other medicines that grant much safer sleep: ask for them!

In brief: Both Unwise

Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Insomnia

Has the cause of your insomnia been explored?.
Treating the cause is way to go.

In brief: Insomnia

Treating the cause is way to go.