My 75 year old mother is anxious about anything new to her and doesn't like new people or places. Are there any medicines or ? For this? Thank you.

Dr. Susan Uhrich

In brief: Maybe

However, without knowing your mother, i cannot recommend medication.
The choice of medication is always dependent on the whole individual. Make an appointment with a geriatric psychiatrist for a thorough evaluation after she has seen her family doctor and has been medically cleared.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Yes but...

I thing this may be her normal personality which we don't need to treat.
If she determines she really needs help with this there are medicines like antidepressants that help also for anxiety that she could try. If she feels comfortable being that way we don't need to "drug her".

In brief: Yes but...

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Edward Neilsen

There are good medicines to help, but getting to the bottom of why this is occurringat 75 is more important.
Depression and dementia are both possible causes. Treatment will depend on an accurate diagnosis. Keep a log or diary, and see her doctor to discuss this.

Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Edward Neilsen