Why do you need to take the provera (medroxyprogesterone) 10 mg for all ten days? Couldn't you induce a period with less?

Yes, 5-10 days. Of Provera (medroxyprogesterone) is all you need to induce withdrawal bleed. I usually give a 5 day course of the 5 mg since i'm not a big fan of synthetic progestins due to the long term side-effects but most of the dosing is based on your doctor's experience.
5 to 10 days. It can be taken for 5 to 10 days. It might take the entire 10 days for some people to bleed. If there's no bleeding after 10 days, you should let your doctor know. Best of luck.