I have had a headache right behind my eyes for about a week now. I have taken Advil (ibuprofen) but it doesn't seem to even touch it. What could be causing this?

Dr. David Kira
Ophthalmology

In brief: Optic neuritis

Any changes in vision or double vision? Behind the eye pain (retro-orbital) pain can be caused by inflammation.
In younger women, if accompanied by other visual symptoms can represent optic neuritis. Since the pain seems severe, you should see your ophthalmologist for a complete dilated exam to check for this and other problems such as optic nerve swelling.

In brief: Optic neuritis

Dr. David Kira
Dr. David Kira
Dr. William Goldstein
Ophthalmology

In brief: Could be basic

It is possible that a more basic problem, such as sinus inflammation, or even dry eye syndrome are the cause.
Of course, your eye doctor and your regular medical doctor should be involved in your care.

In brief: Could be basic

Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. James Marx
In addition, spasm of the posterior neck and scalp muscles can cause a condition call occipital neuralgia. Causes could be neck trauma (like whiplash) or arthritis of the cervical spine. Avoid developing rebound headaches from repeated analgesic administration.
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Not the most likely!

Retro-orbital pain that is bilateral, does not affect vision, can have several causes.
Severe sinusitis is the most common cause, and certainly the least serious of the other causes proposed by my colleagues. See your physician.

In brief: Not the most likely!

Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Benjamin Rubin
Ophthalmology

In brief: Inflammation

You could have inflammation of your sinuses or ischemic optic neurophy.
Do not wait, you need to be seen asap.

In brief: Inflammation

Do not wait, you need to be seen asap.
Dr. Benjamin Rubin
Dr. Benjamin Rubin
Dr. Eric Weisman