I took emergency contraceptive pill nearly 15 days ago and now I am getting my periods at the same time I am lactating. What may be the cause?

Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief: Plan B effect

Anyone having intercourse without birth control or condoms may get pregnant.
If intercourse was within 72 hours you consider taking plan b. Ella (ulipristal acetate) is another brand that can be used up to 5 days after unprotected intercourse. Plan b is a high dose of birth control to disrupt the hormonal patterns to delay or prevent ovulation. Abnormal bleeding after is common. Check preg test in 10 days.

In brief: Plan B effect

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine