How to treat a hand cramp?

Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Stretch & evaluate

I would expect your name to be something more like carpe mannus rather than carpe diem. Spasms are generally relieved by slow and progressive passive stretching of the effected muscle.
Spasms can be caused by a variety of reasons including electrolyte abnormalities, denervation, endocrinologic diseases, seizure, nerve compression, etc. If this recurs discuss with your primary care physician.

In brief: Stretch & evaluate

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Warm soaks

Hand cramps can occur for a number of reasons.
Best initial treatment is to stop the activities that are provoking the cramping, rest the hand, and soak the hand in a tub of warm water. You want the temperature very warm, but not hot enough to burn. Rest the hand is the water for 5 minutes, then gently massage and stretch the fingers while in the water for 5 more minutes.

In brief: Warm soaks

Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan