Have external fixator in left wrist and left-sided numbness for hours after my avonex (interferon beta 1a) injection. Related? Can avonex (interferon beta 1a) cause infection in said situation

In brief: Explanation

If you just started Avonex (interferon beta 1a) for ms, may be transient ms flares after the first series of injections, which is not unexpected.
Would be surprised if your injection caused any infection, and do not believe the external fixator relates at all. However, I have a very negative opinion of avonex, (interferon beta 1a) which does not work very well to stabilize ms, as all the other dmt's work far better. Talk with doctor.

In brief: Explanation

Dr. Brett Fink
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Not reported

I am assuming that the external fixator was placed on thee wrist for a fracture.
Numbness and infection is not reported to be a major side effect. It can cause bone marrow depression which may increase the possibility of infection. It is just as likely that the numbness is unrelated or a result of the disease that you are taking the Avonex (interferon beta 1a) for.

In brief: Not reported