I have pectus excavatum. Been told it's only cosmetic. But doesn't it affect my vital capacity in comparison to an exact individual without it?

Dr. Troy Reyna
Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: No

Pectus excavatum is never clearly cosmetic.
In children it can cause exercise intolerance, chest pain, and other symptoms. It can also have significant psychological issues that affect a child's development and socialization. New operations such as the nuss procedure make the correction much safer and of lower risk. The best age to repair is 11-15 years of age.

In brief: No

Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: Treat the symptoms

If you are not having symptoms, then the treatment (a major operation) doesn't make any sense.
Severe pectus excavatum can cause reduction in vital capacity, but that needs to be treated only if the symptoms are significant.

In brief: Treat the symptoms

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge