Can i take allegra and Benadryl (diphenhydramine) together?

Dr. Michael Zacharisen
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Yes, but why

Allegra (fexofenadine) and Benadryl (diphenhydramine) are both antihistamines.
Allegra doesn't cross into the brain, so no sedation. Benadryl commonly causes sedation. Typically there is no advantage to taking the 2 together, but also there is no harm at usual doses.

In brief: Yes, but why

Dr. Nayla Mumneh

In brief: Maybe

Depending on what you are treating, i would space them out, take Allegra in the morning and Benadryl (diphenhydramine) at night.
Not sure what you are treating though. I can see that with urticaria but for nasal allergies, i would use a nasal spray instead of a second antihistamine.

In brief: Maybe