Are chiropractors licensed to legitimately review xrays with much accuracy?

Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Questionable

My experience with chiropractic xrys in children is that they almost always tell the parents that there is a problem. When I have had these xrys reviewed by a certified pediatric radiologist, I have found 100% of the time that the "abnormal" xrys are in fact totally normal.
Hmmmm.....

In brief: Questionable

Hmmmm.....
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
3 comments
Dr. Katharine Garnier
While I agree that chiropractors are NOT radiologists, I have a hard time painting an entire specialty with the same brush. I am sure there are excellent chiropractors, who have either learned or been trained to review basic xrays and do a good job, just as many physicians who are NOT radiologists can review many xrays adequately. HOWEVER, there are always some who go beyond their expertise level
Dr. Yash Khanna
Chiropractors live on their training manuplating spine.When my patients go to chiropractors in almost all cases they are told there is something wrong with their spine and they need chiropractic tratment.In my view it is quackery most of the tome.That is my opnion based on 40 years of practice
Dr. Eric Wang
Radiology

In brief: Hm...

Can they legally give reports on xrays? Yes, in some cases.
But given my experience with chiropractic reports, i'd highly suggest you have imaging studies read by a board certified radiologist. And yes, to be perfectly clear, I am a radiologist weigh that accordingly.

In brief: Hm...

Dr. Eric Wang
Dr. Eric Wang
Dr. John h Rees
Radiology

In brief: Only secondary

Some chiropratcors devote time to imaging and certify them selves as chiropractic radiologists with particular attention to imaging findings as they relate to chiropractic treatments.
In my opinion this should not be substituted for a primary reading by a fully certified radiologist but as a secondary reading may sometimes be of benefit.

In brief: Only secondary

Dr. John h Rees
Dr. John h Rees
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: No

Chiropractors have a limited understanding of the actual structure of the spine even though they talk about it repeatedly.
Review of radiographs is done exclusively by radiologists trained especially in this area although orthopods and rheumatologists can also do a good job.

In brief: No

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Jonathan Hyde
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Uncertain

The licensure of chiropractors and scope of care may vary from state to state.
As far as competency in reviewing x-rays is concerned, that may vary between practitioners and the quality of films taken in their offices. There are "chiropractic radiologists" in some states, who routinely review x-rays according to how they were trained.

In brief: Uncertain

Dr. Jonathan Hyde
Dr. Jonathan Hyde
Dr. Keegan Duchicela