Do you use heat or cold for a sprained ankle?

Ice is best. Ice is best in the first 24-72 hours following an ankle sprain. This helps decrease the swelling and inflammation which in turn decreases the pain. Do not leave the ice on for more than 15-20minutes. Use a towel to protect your skin against the ice. This can be repeated several x day. Price (protection, rest, ice, compression, and elevation). *if pain continues or worsens please see your doctor.
Varies. Initially ice is great as it decreases the swelling and pain. After about 72 hours, you can apply heat, which helps to heal the injury.