Test while in hosp. Show vit. D level at 9. Hosp. Gave me a shot. Should i be concerned? How much should I take in a supp. Hist of malig. Melanoma.

Dr. Jason Black

In brief: Need a prescription

Normal vitamin d levels are generally considered to be between about 30 and 100.
A level 20 - 30 would be "insufficiency" while a level less than 20 is usually thought of as a deficiency. For very low levels, weekly supplements of 50, 000 units are often given, but these are only available by prescription.

In brief: Need a prescription

Dr. Jason Black
Dr. Jason Black
Dr. Randy Baker
The prescription form of Vit. D 50,000 units is the D2 form of Vitamin D. Vitamin D3 is a FAR superior form of Vitamin D. A recent meta-analysis of the research by the Cochrane Collaboration found that supplemental vitamin D3 reduced the relative mortality risk by six percent, while D2 actually INCREASED mortality risk by two percent! Vitamin D3 is very inexpensive and widely available over the counter. Most adults need at least 5000 units a day to get good blood levels. I NEVER recommend the prescription form. The best evidence is that it is hazardous. Please see http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/02/23/oral-vitamin-d-mistake.aspx
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Yes, at least 5000

Low vit. D reduces immune function (increasing risk of influenza etc.
) & increases risk of osteoporosis (& thus fractures), autoimmune disease & many common cancers including breast, colon cancer & melanoma. It likely prevents the progression of melanoma. Most adults need about 5000 units/day but you might want to try 20, 000 units a day of d3 for a month, then 5-10, 000 units/day. See my comment:.

In brief: Yes, at least 5000

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Have more tests to monitor your levels. With a history of melanoma try to keep your level between 80-100. See http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/11/01/vitamin-d-is-a-key-player-in-your-overall-health.aspx and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2947742/