Sometimes I feel very weak, distinct lack of energy, etc generally tired at work, I eat a candy bar and I feel better, is this related to diabetes or?

Dr. Jennie Law
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Unlikely
But if the habit is continued, can cause diabetes.
..Perhaps try to slowly cut down on candy bar towards healhier snack (ex. Mix candy with trail mix and slowly dilute out the candy, then dilute out glazed or salted nuts until you're eating plain nuts- much healthier). Be sure to eat healthy breakfast (high protein cereal like kashi go lean).

In brief: Unlikely
Dr. Jennie Law
Dr. Jennie Law
Dr. Bennett Werner
I totally agree with Dr. Law. Remember, when you eat a big sugar load, you're signalling your pancreas to pour out insulin. A short time later, the sugar is gone and your blood sugar dips causing fatigue. You may fix this with more sugar and you get yourself into a vicious cycle. Protein, a little fat, and complex carbs are much healthier.
Emily Lu
In brief: May be hunger
Weakness and lack of energy are common symptoms of hunger or low blood sugar in anyone, not just diabetics.
Eating more healthy snacks high in protein can help tide you over for longer between meals.

In brief: May be hunger
Emily Lu
Emily Lu
Answer assisted by Emily Lu, Medical Student
Dr. Vicken Poochikian