I want to know if I have a vitamin or mineral deficiency. What test would i ask my doctor for? Is there a "complete" blood test of some sort? Thank u!

Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: No complete test but

There is no "complete" test for vitamin & mineral deficiencies.
There are some individual tests like vit d levels & tests can be done for the levels in various tissues, but most vitamins (like most b's & c) are not stored in your tissues & levels can vary greatly day to day. Magnesium deficiency is common but checking serum levels are near-worthless, as 99% is in your cells. See comment for more:.

In brief: No complete test but

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Continuing on testing magnesium, one of the most common deficiencies- serum tests will be normal unless you are EXTREMELY deficient. You can check the level of magnesium (& other minerals) in your red blood cells, but these are very atypical cells. TGhe best test may be the Exatest, which checks levels in the cells of your mouth , but it is expensive and only checks a few minerals. So, as you see, direct testing is problematic. There are some interesting functional tests like urine Organic Acid Analysis & serum amino acid testing by certified quality labs like Genova that can show indirect evidence of vitamin & mineral deficiencies. If you are interested in pursuing this it would be useful to work with a doctor with knowledge, training & interest in this field. Holistic docs tend to have this expertise. See http://www.abihm.org/search-doctors and http://www.acamnet.org/site/c.ltJWJ4MPIwE/b.5420171/k.76F0/Integrative_Medicine_From_ACAM__the_voice_of_integrative_medicine.htm
Pathology

In brief: Beware of scams

The common deficiencies (vitamin d, vitamin b12, and iron) are common lab tests that any physician can order. I trust you are eating a reasonable diet; if you do and also supplement with a cheap vitamin-and-mineral tablet your chances of having one of the other deficiencies is near zero.
There are phony labs that diagnose weird deficiencies & recommend weird rx's; hope this isn't why you ask.

In brief: Beware of scams

Dr. Mahesh Allam

In brief: Annual physical

I recommend a cmp ( complete metabolic panel ) CBC ( complete blood count ) urine analysis thyroid profile , vitamin b12, Folic Acid and iron levels fpr an annual physical.
Further test would depend on your symptoms.

In brief: Annual physical

Dr. Mahesh Allam
Dr. Mahesh Allam
Dr. Adam Smith