Is there any other medication to treat fiber mialga and depression besides cimbalta?

Dr. I. Jon Russell
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Fibro/Depression/Rx
According to a well-designed research study, 34% of people with fibromyalgia syndrome [fms] are also depressed.
That implies that 66% of fms are not depressed. Some authors have predicted that the depression in fms is caused by the pain but other evidence indicates that they are independent. Cymbalta [duloxetine] is the only drug which is separately fda-approved for both fms and for depression.

In brief: Fibro/Depression/Rx
Dr. I. Jon Russell
Dr. I. Jon Russell
Dr. Chad Boomershine
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Yes, there are many
There are many antidepressant medicines that can be used to treat both fibromyalgia and depression.
These include, but are not limited to, elavil, prozac, effexor, savella, paxil, pristiq, wellbutrin, trazodone, remeron, celexa, Lexapro and viibryd (vilazodone hydrochloride). However, each medicine is different and can be associated with both good and bad effects. Work with a fibromyalgia specialist to find the right one.

In brief: Yes, there are many
Dr. Chad Boomershine
Dr. Chad Boomershine
Dr. Maureen Nash
Psychiatry - Geriatric
Finding the behavioral interventions and medicine to help you can take time but if you are patient you can often find help.

Dr. Maureen Nash
Dr. Maureen Nash