1 doctor weighed in:

Is it dangerous to eat food accidentally cooked on polystyrene?

1 doctor weighed in
Dr. David Chandler
Ophthalmology

In brief: Possibly...

If the polystyrene has been designated microwave safe, then it most likely is safe.
However, some forms of polystyrene break down more easily than others with heat, and toxins from the plastic might enter the food. If some other form of cooking than microwave was used that has a higher temperature (such as inadvertent cooking in a frying pan, grill, or oven) then i would not eat the food.

In brief: Possibly...

If the polystyrene has been designated microwave safe, then it most likely is safe.
However, some forms of polystyrene break down more easily than others with heat, and toxins from the plastic might enter the food. If some other form of cooking than microwave was used that has a higher temperature (such as inadvertent cooking in a frying pan, grill, or oven) then i would not eat the food.
Dr. David Chandler
Dr. David Chandler
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified,
12 years in practice
16M people helped
Continue
111,000 doctors available