I have pcos, do I ovulate even when I don't have periods?

Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Pediatrics - Endocrinology
In brief: Unlikely
Your period is part of the menstrual cycle and follows ovulation.

In brief: Unlikely
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Dr. Joseph Pena
Fertility Medicine
In brief: No
By most definitions for pcos, it usually implies ovulatory dysfunction resulting in irregular periods.
Thus, it's a good indication that someone with pcos does not get periods, that she is not ovulating.

In brief: No
Dr. Joseph Pena
Dr. Joseph Pena
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Fertility Medicine
In brief: Not on time
If you don't have regular periods you don't ovulate regularly, but if you have any periods at all you may be ovulating unpredictably.
Remember that you can go from irregular periods / no periods to pregnant if you ovulate so use protection if you are not trying to conceive. You need 4 periods a year to prevent endometrial hyperplasia (changes in the lining of the uterus which can be precancerous).

In brief: Not on time
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Dr. Diana Bitner
In brief: NO
That is the problem. You make estrogen, but because you are not always ovulating, you are not making enough Progesterone to balence out the estrogen hence your uterine lining gets really thick and only sheds the top layer. Ifno period for 3 months, need to call your doctor for Progesterone to shed lining ; build up can lead to pre cancer at even a young age!

In brief: NO
Dr. Diana Bitner
Dr. Diana Bitner
Dr. Jane Van Dis