I had unexplained anemia in 2009, I understand this is unusual for a male, they put it down to my diet, can that simply be the reason? Im worried stil

Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology
In brief: It's possible
When a man over age 50 develops iron-deficiency anemia, doctors are trained to think about colon cancer, which can cause silent blood loss.
But if your anemia went away with a change in your diet, it was probably due to your diet! lack of folate (folic acid) from leafy green vegetables, or lack of vit b12, can also cause anemia. Follow-up with your doc to make sure your anemia has resolved.

In brief: It's possible
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Robert Green
Internal Medicine - Oncology
In brief: Sometimes
However depending on how old you are, a workup from a gastroenterologist is probably warranted.

In brief: Sometimes
Dr. Robert Green
Dr. Robert Green
Dr. Howard Haft
The first question is whether or not you still have the anemia that was noted in 2009. If you do it should be evaluated as to the cause- iron deficiency in a male would suggest blood loss but there are many other possible causes. If the anemia is no longer present- don't worry and don't do anything else
Dr. Jack Hinkle