I suffer from tension headaches and my doctor wants to prescribe anti depressants...My lab results are normal, what other options do I have?

Dr. James Marx
Pain Management
In brief: Preventive Therapy
Some of the older antidepressants such as Elavil (amytriptyline) and Pamelor (nortriptyline) (nortryptyline) are used as preventive measures.
My favorite is pamelor (nortriptyline). If you were prescribed one of these meds, the dosage for preventing headaches is way below the dose needed for treating depression. One of these type of meds can be very effective and has pretty low side effects. You need to discuss with your doctor.

In brief: Preventive Therapy
Dr. James Marx
Dr. James Marx
Dr. Chris Esguerra
Pamelor (nortriptyline) tends to have less side effects than elavil (amitriptyline) due to a difference in chemical structure. Nortriptyline is actually derived from amitriptyline, and this class of medications (tricyclic antidepressants) have been helpful in chronic headaches and other chronic pain syndromes.
Dr. Kenneth Choquette
Pain Management
In brief: Options
If the conservative treatments fail to give you adequate control of the headaches, you might need muscle relaxants, anti-inflammatory agents, and sometimes injection therapy in areas or the head and neck that can contribute to "tension" ha.
Many times the "tension" is the myofascial/soft-tissue reaction to problems underneath, especially in the neck.

In brief: Options
Dr. Kenneth Choquette
Dr. Kenneth Choquette
Dr. Chris Hawley
In brief: Headaches
Biofeedback, massage, acupuncture or counseling are other alternatives.

In brief: Headaches
Dr. Chris Hawley
Dr. Chris Hawley
Dr. Missid Ghanem
Clinical Psychology
In brief: See below...
I have found tension headaches to respond well to psychotherapy, relaxation training, biofeedback & energy interventions including tapping (www.
Eftuniverse.Con). Tension headache is a symptom of emotional stress & tension. Identifying & releasing this tension causes the symptom to go away. Wishing you well.

In brief: See below...
Dr. Missid Ghanem
Dr. Missid Ghanem
Dr. Vikram Patel